vim and /etc/alternatives

Tomas Janousek tjanouse at redhat.com
Sat Mar 10 13:09:59 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:08:06AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> The vim split has another purpose: To keep the X, perl, and python
> libraries off of /.
>
> We need /bin/vi to run if /usr is not mounted.  So we have to compile a
> version of vim that doesn't drag in the kitchen sink.

http://people.redhat.com/tjanouse/tmp/launchvim.c

Probably something like this may do the job?

(yeah, I see a huge flame on this, but if they don't want /etc/alternatives,
they asked for this!)

> Uhm.  No it doesn't.  I hate how gvim moves the cursor when I click in
> it with a mouse (I just want to select the text to paste into evolution
> or firefox, not move my editing cursor) and I have three buttons for a
> reason :-)  (Unlike the vim-minimal split, I understand that vim's
> interaction with the mouse is a matter of personal taste.)

That's the way how mouse works in vim GUI, that's not my problem. In terminal,
you can always just use the shift key.

--
TJ., BaseOS, Brno, CZ