Fedora User Management (revisited)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Mar 10 14:29:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 03:11:19PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> writes:
>
> > And because the smei-static, but almost always random method of
> > fedora-usermgmt would be of no help?
>
> fedora-usermgmt does not assign random uids; please read how
> fedora-usermgmt works.

Please be as kind as to not remove relevant context!

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 02:51:30PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 02:11:28PM +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> > > Since we can't count it, it needs to be weighted on a case by
> > > case basis.
> >
> > Why not use 'fedora-usermgmt'?
>
> Argh, you removed the context. Because fedora-usermgmt can't solve
> the issue of fixed uid? And because the smei-static, but almost
> always random method of fedora-usermgmt would be of no help?

Let me clarify: It's not random as per a random number generator
chosen, but random as in not-predictable. Maybe non-deterministic and
non-predictable would had been the better wording, let's not play
games with words, the context was unambiguous (which is why you
cutting the context is A Bad Thing):

# fedora-useradd 42 -r iwant42
# fedora-useradd 666 -r iwant666
# id -u iwant42; id -u iwant666
103
104

So no gain for a package that really required fixed uid/gid. In fact
if it required a fixed uid/gid it would be hosed now.

BTW is there an upper limit to what you register with fedora-useradd?
What happens if the package wants to register into the user reserved
space? Is there any check that my user Bob won't suddenly become the
master of the web server or any other accidentally overlapping daemon?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net