Fedora User Management (revisited)

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sat Mar 10 16:16:03 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 16:15 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> Around 500-1000; for my local system I use a policy (window for service
> uids) of
>
> |  Service (Fedora RPM-package)  63000-63999
> |  Service (local RPM-package)   64000-64999

Again its a local policy, bad planning can hose this up as well and you
may have 2 different spaces on 2 machines. This makes the whole
mechanism simply completely useless.
You do not have a real fixed uid, nor a dynamically allocated uid, just
the worst of both.

> > What happens if the package wants to register into the user reserved
> > space?
>
> Should not happen resp. detected during the review (cry loudly when
> hint-id is out of order)

Should !?

> Else, when fedora-usermgmt tries to override an existing user, it will
> fail:
>
> | $ ssh root at athen "LANG=C fedora-useradd -62495 -r foobar"
> | useradd: UID 505 is not unique

Oh nice very useful, so now we trade a dynamic uid with a possibly
failed package installation ... very useful!!

> > Is there any check that my user Bob won't suddenly become the master
> > of the web server or any other accidentally overlapping daemon?
>
> ok; when the assigned window is in the middle of the normal user space,
> this will be a problem indeed. Solutions:
>
>  * choose a window above UID_MAX (/etc/login.defs) resp. adapt this
>    value. ditto for GID_MAX

The user space window is defined as anything > 500

>  * teach the tool which creates the users that the window is tabooed

This is exactly the same thing as increasing the reserved fixed space to
200 or 300, and that _is_ a solution! Yours is a bad hack.

Simo.