vim and /etc/alternatives

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 19:46:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 14:09 +0100, Tomas Janousek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:08:06AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > The vim split has another purpose: To keep the X, perl, and python
> > libraries off of /.
> >
> > We need /bin/vi to run if /usr is not mounted.  So we have to compile a
> > version of vim that doesn't drag in the kitchen sink.
>
> http://people.redhat.com/tjanouse/tmp/launchvim.c
>
> Probably something like this may do the job?
>
> (yeah, I see a huge flame on this, but if they don't want /etc/alternatives,
> they asked for this!)

Uhm.  No.

1) alternatives isn't an issue with vim as is because we have three
distinct programs with three distinct names:
  /bin/vi
  /usr/bin/vim
  /usr/bin/gvim

2) Something like launchvim has no bearing on whether we are going to
split out /bin/vi from vim/gvim as it does nothing to address the issue
of /bin/vi needing /usr to be mounted in order to run.

> > Uhm.  No it doesn't.  I hate how gvim moves the cursor when I click in
> > it with a mouse (I just want to select the text to paste into evolution
> > or firefox, not move my editing cursor) and I have three buttons for a
> > reason :-)  (Unlike the vim-minimal split, I understand that vim's
> > interaction with the mouse is a matter of personal taste.)
>
> That's the way how mouse works in vim GUI, that's not my problem. In terminal,
> you can always just use the shift key.

I'm certain I'm not understanding what you want now.  I don't know what
you're referring to with the "just use the shift key".

However, I've found a solution for the issue that's prompting you to
request this::

alias vim='gvim -v'

The man page for this option is a little confusing::
 -v          Start Vim in Vi mode, just like the executable  was  called
             "vi".   This  only has effect when the executable is called
             "ex".

What you have to realize is that although this sounds as though it's
going to run vim in vi-compatibility mode there's already a switch for
that: "-C".  What "-v" really does is run vim as a console mode screen
editor in contrast to "-e" which runs vim as the line editor and "-g" as
the GUI editor.

I've confirmed that this gives you access to "*p

-Toshio