Fedora User Management (revisited)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Mar 11 19:14:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 01:42:32PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Fuck the LSB. Last I checked, blind adherence to "standards" wasn't in
> Fedora policy. The LSB fails to accommodate our needs in this situation.
> The LSB's job is to accommodate *us*, the global collective of
> distribution vendors, not the other way around.

Actually the LSB's role is primarily simply to document existing standard
behaviour so that you don't get fragmentation and chaos (which is exactly
what some folks in this discussion appear intent upon).

It documents cross vendor, cross distribution common and relied upon behaviour
with more than a non at long standing unix tradition that uid < 100 is magic.