Review guidelines and rpmlint

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Mar 11 19:22:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 11:50 -0500, Chip Coldwell wrote:
> Yes.  In order to meet the merge review requirements for Fedora 7 I must
> silence rpmlint.

I keep seeing this over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

If you look closely, rpmlint output is separated into warnings (W:) and
errors (E:). Just like a C compiler.

IMHO we should do this:

Errors MUST be fixed to pass review. (Or to pass the upcoming
rpmlint-after-build test)

Warnings can be ignored IF (BIG IF) there is reasonable justification.
For example, the common "no documentation" warning with sub-packages
such as -devel. Often all documentation goes into the main package, and
there's nothing suited to go in the -devel package.

And if rpmlint flags something as an error that shouldn't be, file a bug
against rpmlint. The test can be revised, or downgraded to a warning.

... Is this an agreeable revision to the review guidelines?