Fedora User Management (revisited)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Mar 11 21:01:18 UTC 2007

Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> writes:

>> you and notting are wanting to break the LSB by using an area which
>> must not be used for fixed uids. I outlined an alternative which
>> breaks LSB too but is much less painless on most systems.
>
> Fuck the LSB. Last I checked, blind adherence to "standards"
> wasn't in Fedora policy.

It is not a "blind adherence" but an adherence that existing systems
should not be broken. You can not use range 100-499 for static uids
because existing systems are having already uids in this range.

> The LSB fails to accommodate our needs in this situation.  The LSB's
> job is to accommodate *us*,

It was a wrong/shortsighted decision to reserve only 0-100 for static
uids. But this decision can not be corrected anymore because there is no
other room for static uids.

Enrico