RFC: Signed JAR Packaging Policy

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 21:34:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 15:16 -0600, Richard Megginson wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:

> >> I'm really against it. At the very least, it screws over CentOS. This a bad
> >> path to be going down.
> >>
> >> I'd much prefer gcj and the future Fedora-shipped implementation of the Sun
> >> JVM to make it easy to use self-generated certificates. If someone wants to
> >> install a proprietary JVM, let's make _that_ the hard case.
> >>

> > I agree.  How much fun would it be if apache suddenly decided to not function
> > with self signed certs and any cert you used had to come from verasign ?
> >
> A radical way to do this would be for Fedora to acquire a signing cert
> from Sun, and redistribute the key and cert with the JSS package.

Clarification: Fedora can't acquire a signing cert from Sun. Only Red
Hat, Inc can.

I doubt Red Hat is willing to get a cert/key, then freely distribute
them with the packages. I can hear lawyers screaming at the thought.

IMHO, either we ship them unsigned, or we don't ship them. When Sun GPLs
the Java bits, we can fix this properly.

~spot