The road to the merge

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 15 12:11:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 02:38 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 08:31:51PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > I'd argue that this feature is a meta-feature (e.g. it should not
> > > really be observable when someone grabs the final product what kind of
> > > buildsystem was used), so perhaps the feature-freeze does not really
> > > apply to this part. So, I think it's acceptable to add it after test3.
> >
> > Yes and no.  With a merged collection of packages (which can't happen
> > before koji is in place),
>
> Why not? (Just curious, no disbelieve :)

Technically it probably could happen before koji was in place if
everything was just moved to Extras CVS and plague was used.  But I
believe koji provides some additional function that Jesse and Rel-Eng
need to actually do freezes and composes.  Particularly, tagging of
packages to a collection.

> > you could potentially start enabling some features in what were Core
> > packages that previously couldn't be done because the libs (or
> > whatever) resided in what was Extras.
>
> It would probably mean that no BR from premerge-extras to
> premerge-core will be allowed until then, which would be sad, but
> probably bearable.

Sure.

> What would you suggest otherwise as an alternative? Slip test3? No
> feature freeze until test4?

I don't have another suggestion and I think Jesse's and your's seem
fine.  I was just saying it wasn't exactly a meta-feature :).

josh