Proposal: Automate fedora-maintainers subscriptions

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Mar 20 17:17:08 UTC 2007

Warren Togami schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 19.03.2007 20:01, Warren Togami wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Any objections?
>> Is it wise to do that now, even if there are rough plans that
>> fedora-maintainers might vanish with the mailing list reorganization
>> (that is waiting for new hardware atm that afaics should get installed
>> in one month from now)?. I'd say a definite "no" and propose to revisit
>> this during or after the mailing list reorganization.
> Where is the latest version of the reorg proposal?

But I think it doesn't make to much sense to discuss that now -- I'd say
we should discuss this again in detail when we are getting closer to
actually realizing it (e.g. maybe four weeks from now; or after F7 is out).

>  I am not sure if it
> is wise to get rid of fedora-maintainers list.

I think it is (¹) and the proposal received only very few flames when it
got discussed on fedora-devel -- hey, it even received some "I like
that" ;-)

>>> Any volunteers to write this script?
>> Anyway, such a script might be helpful for other mailing list after the
>> mailing list reorg. But is this worth the trouble? Why not put a simple
>> "hey, you are a member of cvsextras now, so you are now allowed to join
>> mailing list foo and bar; it's strongly suggested to be on at least list
>> foo" in the message you get from the accounts system when you join a group?
> Because it requires somebody to manually approve their registration
> request, which is a big loss when this step could be automated.

Agreed (hey, I did this for this list for nearly one year ;-) ).

Nevertheless I would not invest work into it at this point of time with
the mailing list reorg on the horizon. But I won't stop you ;-)

CU
thl

(¹) -- especially as the difference between fedora-maintainers and
fedora-devel seems to be not that obvious these days. Just look at the
last topics from this list.