Proposal: Automate fedora-maintainers subscriptions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 20 18:40:42 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 14:22:23 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Why does games SIG require a separate mailing list?

For the same reason that other subjects need their own list.  Finding subject
material in a one-for-all list is extremely hard.  When 200+ new messages
arrive daily finding the 2 or 3 you might want to read is very difficult.

This is a no-win situation.  Either A) you have separate lists for topics and
run the risk of discussions happening in different places, or B) you shove
everything into a few lists and the traffic (even if it is all signal) is so
great, nobody reads it and topics they care about are missed.

This is the part where you suggest an announce list, and then we argue about
what is a suitable 'announcement'.  Policy change?  soname bumps?  New
packages?  Removed packages?  Meeting times/notes?  At what point does the
noise of a single announce list become so great that it gets ignored too?

I don't have solutions, I only have experience and insight.  I get most the
mail anyway, so I don't necessarily care if it comes from one list of 5, but
I do like subjects to be split out so I can set priority on what list to
read.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora