A modest proposal: Have SIGS manage day-to-day comps additions with feedback from release-eng

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:51:31 UTC 2007

Here's my proposal.
We make it the responsibility of each SIG to take ownership of at
least one comps group definition and to keep it pruned, with feedback
from release-eng.

The real question is how do we do that functionally. There is one
comps file right now. Do we
give a lot of people the authority to poke around inside that file.
I'm not sure I like that approach, I'd be afraid of inexperienced
people accidentally breaking the comps syntax, unless we can find a
way to toolize a syntax verifier as part of the check in process, like
what Jesse has suggested to me in irc.

This way we could be reasonable sure that we can get updated comps
definitions for development as well as the current fedora release(s)
by harnessing the specialized knowledge of active SIGs as packages
roll into the tree.  I want to encourage SIGs to do the comps
janitorial work, but I don't want to risk compromising the comps file
integrity with a lot of daily edits.

Tboughts?
-jef