Proposal: Automate fedora-maintainers subscriptions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 20 19:06:06 UTC 2007

Christopher Stone wrote:
> On 3/20/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Christopher Stone wrote:
>> >
>> > For the same reason any SIG should have their own list.
>>
>> That is not a good reason consider no SIG except games has its own
>> mailing list.
>
> I wouldn't say that.
>
> Fedora-perl-devel-list -> perl SIG
> Fedora-music-list -> music and media production SIG
> Fedora-security-list -> security SIG

This is incorrect. Fedora-perl-devel list was formed before the concept
of SIG's were in place. Fedora music list is not related to the music
SIG but was originally created to coordinate on the merge of Planet
CCRMA into Fedora Extras. Fedora-security list is not a Extras SIG list
either. It deals with security issues not packaging.

> There are probably others which you could consider SIGs like mentors,
> fr, women etc.  I think if we just relabeled these as fedora-SIG-foo
> it would make finding special interest topics easier.

SIG's were originally created to coordinate on packaging. Mentors,fr or
Women dont fit into that description at all.

> Stuff that only interests people who are interested in games.  Game
> specific questions, making a games spin, etc.  Basically people who
> are interested in games can peruse our archives and easily find
> discussions related to games

I periodically watch discussions at the fedora-games list and my
opinions is that those topics would benefit from being discussed in
fedora-devel or fedora-maintainers list with more of the community
participating. Menu organization of games for example is a topic of
interest to not just people packaging games but also folks who care
about usability or those who want to make sure that menus follow the
relevant specs.

Rahul