Proposal: Automate fedora-maintainers subscriptions

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 19:08:41 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Christopher Stone schrieb:
> > On 3/20/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >> Why does games SIG require a separate mailing list?
> > For the same reason any SIG should have their own list.
>
> And that reason is?

Okay, well if we are going to remove special interest topics, we may
as well remove 99% of the mailing lists listed here:

Clearly there in the past was a need for special interest topics, I
havn't actually counted, but it looks like somewhere between 95%-99%
of all those mailing lists could be considered special interest.

> P.S..:In case it matters: my current opinion is that this list is fine
> to stay, but seems some people think different about it and I agree that
> it's worth to be discussed

I looked through those threads that you posted and did not see anyone
but you questioning the need for the games list.

> P.P.S.:I just want to make sure we have a healthy information flow in
> the project as a whole. Having separate communication channels sometimes
> can improve the "information flow" but sometimes disturb it. It's a
> trade off.

I think clearly labeling special interest lists with a format like:
fedora-SIG-* would clearly differentiate special interest list against
general interest lists.  If the list is named fedora-foo, you know it
is a general interest list.  If it is named fedora-SIG-foo, then it is
a special interest list.