fedora 7 comps change request (for festival)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Mar 20 19:44:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 03:25:11PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Currently, festival is an optional package in "System Tools", and pulled in
> > as default in "Gnome Desktop Environment" by orca.
> > I think we should default to also installing at least the non-accented HTS
> > voices (giving two male and two female choices by default):
> >   festvox-bdl-arctic-hts
> >   festvox-clb-arctic-hts
> >   festvox-rms-arctic-hts
> The problem is pulling in any one particular voice - does festival
> pull in any voices by default?

Yes, I made it pull in festvox-sdl-arctic-hts as a hard requirement.  That
way that's guaranteed. (Maybe in the future this could use "Recommends:"
instead of "Requires".) The package actually will work as long as any one of
the voices is installed. Well, it'll work to some degree with no voices at
all, if you just want to use it as a Scheme interpreter.

> > Probably somewhere better than "System Tools" -- "Sound and Video",
> > maybe?
> Text-to-speech doesn't sound right for sound and video.

I suppose it depends if you're thinking of it as accessibility technology or
as "cool, my computer can talk".

Got a better suggestion? I don't think I'd look under System Tools at all.
And it is "sound", after all.