fedora-maintainers vs fedora-devel

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 08:35:10 UTC 2007

> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 14:39:13 Axel Thimm wrote:
> > The way I see it it is like the following:
> >
> > o fedora-devel
> >   - concentrates on rawhide and its way to a release
> >   - has in-house upstream development discussion
> >   - more in-depth Linux mechanics
> >   - manages release cycle
> >
> > o fedora-maintainers
> >   - concentrates on the packaging community as a whole
> >   - More issues about packaging than on upstream development, if any
> >   - cares more about current and past releases
>
> Actually I do all the freeze and collection announcements to
> fedora-maintainers.  They're the people that need to know, and it's largely
> just noise for fedora-devel.  To me, fedora-maintainers are the people doing
> the work, and a communication place for that.  fedora-devel is a combo of
> people doing work and a larger community consuming the work.

	It seems odd to create a boundary (i.e. fedora-maintainers is a closed
list) between the people currently doing the work and people which might
potentially do some work. You want to make it easier for people to
contribute, not harder.

	Also, it's a pretty artificial distinction. Not currently owning a
package does not mean one is not contributing to fedora e.g. I don't
currently own any packages so I was silently dropped from
fedora-maintainers, but I do contribute in various ways to some
packages. Looking at the archives, I'm quite surprised at the level of
discussion on fedora-maintainers I'm missing out on.

Cheers,
Mark.