Plan for tomorrows (20070322) FESCO meeting

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Fri Mar 23 06:09:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 09:20 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Can FESCo or the FPC perhaps come up with an official policy on retired
> packages which have been published before for multiple releases of the
> dist, but which are not obsoleted in any new package?
>
> E.g. python-libtorrent as requested for removal here:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/RepoRequests

Sorry about that one; The Deluge developers stopped maintaining their
external python bindings and integrated the functionality into upstream
releases (thereby precluding the need for the external library, and in
fact dropping support/maintenance for that library entirely...)

Unfortunately, I'm hesitant to make Deluge obsolete it through RPM's
Obsoletes/Provides functionality because the next release of
rb_libtorrent is supposed to be buildable with Python bindings, which my
intent is to properly Provides/Obsoletes the one by the Deluge devs.
(I'm talking to the upstream rb_libtorrent devs about this via IRC.)

I was hoping to get this resolved a bit quicker, but "ces't la vie" as
the saying goes... :|

> A possible solution is a mandatory entry in the release notes, in a
> section that explains how to remove orphans/leaf-packages manually.
package-cleanup (part of the yum-utils package) is very useful for this.
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) / FSF & EFF Member
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479