Packagedb Prototype 0.2.90.1

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:27:07 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

As talked about in yesterday's FESCo meeting, the current prototype for
the packagedb is available at https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb.
The GUI to db connection is complete.  I still have a little work to
finish off email notifications to owners of a package when the ACLs are
updated.  (The changes are currently logged in the db and can send to a
fedora-extras-commits style mailing list.  I just need to add the logic
that grabs the owner's email address to send to as well.)

Here's the easiest way to try the interface out::
  1) Go to https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/test/orphans
  2) Click on one of these orphaned packages.
  3) Login using the link in the upper right corner.  The login
information is your Fedora Account System user-pass.
  4) If you are in the "cvsextras" group (have commit access to the
"Extras" cvs repository) you should now be able to take ownership of the
package, change the acls on who can commit, get bug reports, etc.
  5) If you are not in cvsextras, you should still be able to add
yourself to a package and request that someone approve you for watching
commit logs, bugzilla, etc.

Feel free to test this stuff out: we'll be resyncing the information in
the database against what's in owners.list, pkg.acl files, and the cvs
repository before we go live.

Bill, I know you had a concern about orphaned packages being kept long
term.  I'd like to leave that as policy in the short term and address it
technically after F7 by preventing builds for orphaned packages.
Preventing builds is currently something we'd have to do from within
koji but we'll be integrating the packagedb and koji for F8 so that's a
prime time to work on it.  Does that sound okay for you?

PS. The packagedb now takes URLs of the form.
  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/abiword
If someone wants to code a short bit of html+javascript that lets the
enduser enter a packagename and jump to the package's page, I'll add it
to the sidebar for navigation.

PPS. I know that navigating the packagelists using numbered pages rather
than alphabetically indexed pages still sucks.  If someone wants to fix
that before I can get to it (probably post-F7), let me know.

-Toshio