Acceptable for inclusion: drumkits for hydrogen

Clark Williams williams at redhat.com
Mon Mar 26 22:15:19 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2007 at 04:36:56PM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
>> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>>> Sortof. This is more along the lines of:
>>>
>>> - copying the sounds that drum machine A makes
>>> - so that drum machine B can make the exact same sounds
>>> - then, giving away drum machine B (and advertising it as having the
>>> exact same sounds as drum machine A)
>
> There isn't yet a patent for "sound formulae", is there?

We're talking about copyright here, not patents.

I just happen to have a PDF of the TD-8 drum brain manual on my laptop.
When I did a search for copyright, I eventually found this note:

"The sounds, phrases and patterns contained in this
product are sound recordings protected by copyright.
Roland hereby grants to purchasers of this product the
permission to utilize the sound recordings contained in
this product for the creation and recording of original
musical works; provided however, the sound recordings
contained in this product may not be sampled,
downloaded or otherwise re-recorded, in whole or in
part, for any other purpose, including but not limited to
the transmission of all or any part of the sound
recordings via the internet or other digital or analog
means of transmission, and/or the manufacture, for sale
or otherwise, of any collection of sampled sounds,
phrases or patterns, on CD-ROM or equivalent means.
The sound recordings contained in this product are the
original works of Roland Corporation. Roland is not
responsible for the use of the sound recordings
contained in this product, and assumes no liability for
any infringement of any copyright of any third party
arising out of use of the sounds, phrases and pattern"

Now, they may not have copyrighted the drum sounds from the TD-7, but
chances are they did.

Of course it looks like hydrogen has a number of freely available drum
kits available for download (at least ones that don't claim to be
duplicates of copyrighted material). We could just package the source
and a selection of the drum sounds that aren't going to cause us legal
grief.

Clark