Acceptable for inclusion: drumkits for hydrogen

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Mar 28 00:27:29 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 08:40 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I wouldn't go that far. I would say at least, they need some sort of
> license or copyright attribution.

They're definitely lacking in having any kind of license at all, no
where on the web site or in the tarballs. They should be put under a
Creative Commons license of some kind. And versioning them couldn't hurt
either...

> I'm slightly more concerned about whether it is legal to record the
> sounds that a drum machine makes and freely redistribute them without
> the manufacturers permission.

The 808 kit for one, claims to have been independently synthesized, and
isn't from a real TR-808.

Dunno about the others. I know there's assloads of companies out there
that sell CDs full of samples from various synths, so the legalities of
doing such have got to be well established by now, but I haven't been
able to google up anything about it so far.

http://www.soundsonline.com/product.php?productid=BS-385
http://www.hollowsun.com/vintage/nostalgia.html

etc etc...

Also of interest:

http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/history.htm

The copyright on the MT-32 ROM may or may not have lapsed, Roland can't
seem to find any documentation to prove it either way. :) Wonder if any
other synth ROMs have fallen through the same loophole...