fonts packages review and conffile-without-noreplace-flag warning

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Mar 28 05:51:07 UTC 2007

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:35 +0900, Mamoru Tasaka wrote:
>> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

>>> I would say that if they changed it to use a specific font, then, they
>>> really want that specific font, whether the default changes or not.
>> Here Akira says is perhaps.. what happens if the previous fonts is
>> completely _removed_ (due to license issue or something)?
>> In this case, user-customized config file completely gets useless.
>> Well, this actually happened on fonts-japanese
>>
> If the font is removed, then the config file has to be updated.  But the
> thing is that the user intiates all of these actions.
> We don't remove
> the package from the user's system.

No, for fonts-japanese, the package actually removed (and
had to remove) one fonts.

There is no font named "fonts-japanese". This is a correction
of about 10? different fonts and config file points to one
font by default.
What happened to fonts-japanese is that this font used as
default (which was very common) had to remove completely due to
license issue. So simply upgrading fonts-japanese actually
removed one font.

At this point, user-customized config file became quite
useless. And many changes happened according to this default
font change, along with ghostscript change (yes, this was
really many).

> The user has to decide :
>
> 1) I want to override the default font.  Make changes
> to /etc/configfontfile.
> 2) Oops.  I don't like that font anymore.  I'm going to rpm -e foo-font
> 3) Okay.  I need to change the configfontfile so it points to a font
> that I still have installed.
>
> If the user doesn't perform actions 1 or 2 then action 3 is not
> necessary.

i.e. we *had to* do 2) despite what a user may think.

Mamoru