fonts packages review and conffile-without-noreplace-flag warning

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 17:38:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 15:25 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> TK> If the font is removed, then the config file has to be updated.  But the
> TK> thing is that the user intiates all of these actions.  We don't remove
> TK> the package from the user's system.  The user has to decide :
>
> Well, as you may know, fonts-japanese collects various Japanese
> fonts and I presume that the font file is removed from the
> package without adding/removing any packages. and it also
> provides configuration files for ghostscript to be able to
> print japanese text out correctly, which we are talking
> about now.

Ah I missed that fonts-japanese is a collection of fonts.

> TK> If the user doesn't change the config file and the next package
> TK> iteration has a different configuration in the file, the file will be
> TK> replaced despite it being %config(noreplace).  %config() macros only
> TK> kick in when the file has been modified on the installed system.
>
> Right. I'm worrying about they may add another line to it or
> modify it partially etc, which is still referring to the old
> fonts.

This is no different than upgrading between versions of a program where
the config file format has changed in incompatible ways.  What do we do
then?

> Another idea to solve this is, to makes it read-only file
> and to create the empty configuration file for users, which
> can overrides the sytem's.

Sure.  It sounds like it's really a per user setting preference anyway.
Note that I'd either mark the system wide file %config(noreplace) if it
continues to live in /etc or put it in /usr somewhere.

-Toshio