Fedora 7 Feature Frozen

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Mar 30 18:20:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:36:40AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 10:33:30 Matthias Saou wrote:
> > I don't see any mention of a "mass rebuild" like it was previously
> > done with Extras. Is this something we will no longer be doing?
>
> I'd like to do this only for technical reasons such as compiler changes or
> breaking inheritance from previous releases.  I'd rather see other
> non-intrusive methods for finding awol maintainers.

The awol detection was just a side-effect, and not worth by itself
rebuilding the distro for.

I think at least one mass rebuild towards the end of the release cycle
makes sense, e.g. when the release is in freeze status: I've been
doing that since several releases and was always very surprised to see
what other dependencies both run-time and build-time changed and broke
something, even from testX to testX+1. For example the recent glibc
made some incompatible chownat changes.

We do have some semi-official rebuilds made by Matt, but they don't
get the attention they need. It would be different if Matt's rebuilds
happened right into rawhide with the packagers being forced to face the
bugs when using rawhide.

But it may be too late in the release cycle for F7 to bring this up.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net