emacs and /etc/alternatives

Chip Coldwell coldwell at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 17:02:52 UTC 2007

Currently, there are two versions of GNU emacs that can be installed:
emacs and emacs-nox.  The latter runs in a terminal emulator, the
former uses X windows.  I'm cleaning up the emacs spec file to meet
the Fedora review requirements, and I think the right thing to do
would be to have

/usr/bin/emacs-22.0.95
/usr/bin/emacs-22.0.95-nox
/usr/bin/emacs -> /etc/alternatives/emacs
/etc/alternatives/emacs -> /usr/bin/emacs-22.0.95[-nox]

In other words, let the /etc/alternatives symlink select which of the
two versions runs by default.

Is this the right thing to do?
If so, should the emacs-nox package have a "Conflicts: emacs" and
vice-versa?

Your help is appreciated.

Chip

--