major change release management for former Extras packages?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at greysector.net
Mon May 7 15:00:09 UTC 2007

On Monday, 07 May 2007 at 16:32, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007 10:02:02 Alex Lancaster wrote:
> > For example, with Extras <= FC-6 you can simply update the package and
> > build it and it will generally go into the repo in a few days.  While
> > I complete understand the need for and approve of a QA process for
> > packages (especially in the merged world), I am concerned that the new
> > extra (sic) step involved in rel-eng not be too onerous.
> >
> > For example, currently there is a steady stream of updates to Extras
> > packages every day, and if even fairly minor changes need to be
> > approved by a committee then I can see the queue rapidly becoming
> > full.  In addition having to justify each change (even for "leaf"
> > packages which don't depend on or otherwise affect any other packages)
> > and waiting longer for approval, or disallowing version upgrades (even
> > if they don't break binary compatibility), could potentially
> > discourage contributors because the rapid release cycle of Extras
> > packages (compared to Core) is part of what made being a contributor
> > to Extras appealing in the first place.
> >
> > Of course, this may all be moot if the final policy for updating
> > packages (after F7 is released) differs somewhat from that described
> > in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/DevelFreezePolicy
> > but those are some potential issues I can see with the release process
> > as I currently interpret it.
>
> It is different.  That's why it's a DevelFreezePolicy.  For updates to a
> released platform, we ask that you follow some simple guides like avoid
> soname bumping that would cause N* number of rebuilds of "downstream"
> packages and the like.  There will be a tool to use, bodhi, to request your
> update and fill in information about why this update is being issued, and
> there will still need to be somebody to do the depchecking/signing/pushing of
> the update set.

OK, fair enough, though I don't like jumping through more hoops than I used
to. One more question (I may have missed the answer in this thread): What
happens if I update a package and tag and build it *now*. Will it end up in
rawhide or not? Will it end up in post-release repo or not?

Regards,
R.

--
Fedora Extras contributor  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DominikMierzejewski