major change release management for former Extras packages?

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon May 7 19:51:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-07 at 22:46 +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Monday 07 May 2007 13:13:57 Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > So... all my unpushed updates would actually be reverted when rawhide is
> > > open again?
> > >
> > > That's... unexpected and ill-conceived, to say the least. Actually it
> > > stiffles development at this point. It means I can't happily hack away
> > > even if I'm sure my currently published package set is stable.
> >
> > Incorrect. dist-fc8 or dist-f8 or whatever we call it will inherit from
> > dist-fc7, and thus any unpublished builds will magically show up.
>
> But magically only in post-F7 Rawhide, not F7, right?

Right.

> If this is true and I now understand correctly how things proceed from here,
> there will be lots of ex-Extras packages with broken upgrade paths from FE6
> to F7, unless packagers are aware of what exactly they're expected to do and
> send the corresponding lots of mails to rel-eng and rel-eng accepts and is
> able to process those mails in time.  Assuming all goes well to the point
> where the mails are actually sent and rel-eng can handle that load during the
> smallish timeframe there will be available for it before F7, will those
> packages need to be rebuilt or will the already done builds be just
> cherry-picked and added to F7 by rel-eng from somewhere?  If rebuilt, whose
> responsibility is it?

If they're built with koji, they get automatically tagged with dist-fc7.
Rel-eng will just cherry-pick from there (upon request) and tag the
existing package with f7-final.  There shouldn't be a rebuild needed to
get it into F7.

For example, here's a tag request I handled this morning:

koji tag-pkg --force f7-final gedit-2.18.0-3.fc7

That took the existing gedit-2.18.0-3.fc7 build that was already tagged
with dist-fc7 and tagged it for f7-final.  The --force is needed because
that tagged is locked.

josh