major change release management for former Extras packages?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon May 7 20:42:49 UTC 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:

> Presumably the maintainer knew that they were breaking upgrade path when
> doing the FE6 build, and thus did a build on devel/.

Well, I didn't until an hour or so ago.  And looks like I'm not the only one
who missed it.

> organized....  or small amounts of chaos...  Thankfully tagging a package
> is extremely quick, it just takes time to generate an email.  Things go
> faster if the rebuilds are to fix NVR only and not "oh, I'm rebuilding,
> might as well suck down the latest upstream and introduce a soname bump and
> new features and...."

Understood, and I'm happy to take your word for it if you're saying the whole
shebang is doable.  I do however think that the sooner an official reminder
and a more explicit explanation about things packagers need to take care of
(such as things discussed in this thread, eg. what does it mean if I update a
package in FE6 and devel now) than what's currently in the Wiki can be sent,
the better.