Post-merge howto and FAQ

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu May 10 09:00:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:32:27AM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Do Mai 10 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > If a package is not rebuilt from FC6 to F7 (or F7 and F8 etc) then
> > there is no need to think about upgrade paths, they are trivial,
> > e.g. no upgrade is needed at all.
>
> But when I update a package now in FC6, the package in F7 will be older. Sure,
> if one does not change anything, i.e. not updating a FC6 package in the FC6
> lifetime, that there will be no problems with the upgrade path.

If the package is indeed not worth to rebuild it, then there is no
upgrade neccessary on a client's system going from FC6 to F7, and F7
can get a copy of the package (no rebuild) at some later time, no need
to wait for an F7 rebuild in deep freeze to proceed with fixing FC6
bits.

> > discouraged to do so, and therefore you can possibly even get away
> > with a simple cp op and never get into the problem of F7 < FC6 and
> > having to rebuild for F7.
>
> What "cp op" are you talking about? Afaik there will be only a copy of some
> packages in "devel" to F7 (the packages, that are tagged f7-final).

Packages that are the same across dists can be simply copied
over. This is what automagically happens at each new release cycle,
and what you can otherwise ask for. This usually happens for packages
that are known to "never" [1] change across releases, e.g. data
packages, firmwares, fonts. But why not for this case, too, if the
conventional push to F7 is more painful and a rebuilt not really
required?

Note: I'm a strong proponent of rebuilding everything for F7 (other
then data files, firmware and such trivial non-rebuildable stuff), so
having me explain how to not rebuild your packages is contrary to my
religion. But my religion != F7 policy, and the latter asks you to not
rebuild w/o a Damned Good Reason.

Please don't ask me to justify non rebuilding further, I can't. ;)

[1] "never" is relative as even firmwares get installed under
    different paths on different releases, but it's as close to
    "never" as it gets.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net