Plan for tomorrows (20070510) FESCO meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 10 16:32:05 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway schrieb:
> On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 10:41 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

>>> Since I probably won't be there, due to the RH Summit, my thoughts (and
>>> votes if it comes to it):
>>> - No compat-python2.4 package
>> Spot, could you clarify this a bit?  Christian stated his opinion on
>> both compat-python2.4 (a generic compat package for the distro) and
>> "runzope" (python 2.4 packaged inside of the zope package).
> I'm not against runzope, per-se, but I'd much much rather see an effort
> to bring zope to current python.
>
> My biggest concern with runzope packaging ideaology is that we'll leave
> it at that, and not fix the real problem.

Well, what does that mean for compat-packages in general? Should each of
those have a limited life time as well? Or do we need other rules like
"packages from the repo are not allowed to use or link against compat
packages in the devel tree at release time of a Fedora release"?

I just want consistency. We ship about 40 pacakges afaics and we should
apply the same rules to all out packages. I fail to understand why
python is so special. It's IMHO not just about "python for zope": people
might have apps from other sources compiled against python-2.4 installed
on their system -- shipping a compat-python24 for one release gives them
time to get those apps running after a update to F7 so they can migrate
their software to python 2.5 over the next half year until we ship F8.

CU
thl