Broken upgrade paths in F7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 15 03:02:19 UTC 2007

> Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > How does that fix the upgrade path?  It's no better than having an
> > existing package with NVR less than FC/FE-6 functionally...  What good
> > does that do?
>
> It makes sure whatever packages that are in the repository are
> upgradeable. That's the standard that we should set for the Fedora
> repository. It gains us the trust of our end users on the quality of

>From a functional standpoint, users won't see these via normal yum or
pup/pirut interfaces.  They would literally have to go look in the
repository itself to even see the packages.  So for quite a large
portion of "end users" it doesn't convey anything at all.

But I see where you're coming from.

> software that we include and it's conveys the message to the maintainers
> that their package simply won't be in the release unless they fix this.

In general, perhaps.  But right now people are still getting used to the
process in the merged world.  Give them time.  Being overly draconian
about it won't win anyone over.  Perhaps other maintainers will
volunteer to fix things even.

/me tries to remember some saying about catching something with honey
instead of something that tastes bad... or something.

> The update system should also refuse to publish packages when the EVR is
> broken. That's a pretty good incentive for everyone to do the right thing.

Agreed.  I hope bodhi does this, but I have no idea.

> Upgrade paths are broken when packages are orphaned too. I would
> consider any package where the maintainers haven't fix it to even
> upgrade from previous versions properly as effectively orphaned.

I think you're getting slightly ahead of yourself.  Let us see what the
overall response to this thread is and deal with the remainders in a day
or two.

josh