Broken upgrade paths in F7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 15 13:43:53 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 15:23 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 19:38 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > > All of my packages have been submitted the ordinary "make build" way
> > > either through plague or koji and are consistent in CVS. I don't
> > > consider it my job to sort out this broken release policy.
> >
> > Ok.  Then you can deal with bug reports on your packages if/when users
> > try to upgrade and they don't work.
>
> When will you understand that I did apply the same procedures as with
> all Fedora releases before - You report actually points out regressions
> koji imposes on community maintainers.

We've been over this before Ralf.  Things change.  It's not a
regression, it's a change in workflow.

Now I can understand that it is 1) different, 2) more burden than the
old process, and 3) perhaps confusing.  If you're confused about
something, ask some questions.  I'd be happy to answer them.

As for the additional burden, it's really only present during the Freeze
time, which happens to be now.  I honestly believe this is a good thing
in the long run.

> I really don't have a problem in orphaning these packages, because my
> interest in continuing to struggle with packages in Fedora drops by the
> minute.

If you were to do so, that would be quite sad.  It takes a simple email
to get these packages into f7-final and thus far you are the only person
to publicly refuse to do so.  To lose a valued contributor over the
matter of an email would be sad indeed.

And no, rel-eng cannot just tag them for you.  We need some kind of
input from the package maintainer as to whether they're safe to enable
and make sure they don't break dependencies, etc.

josh