Broken upgrade paths in F7

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Tue May 15 15:12:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 10:50 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 19:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I've suggested that releases should branch from devel before they
> > actually release.  It hasn't been implemented.  I'm not sure why.
>
> Because (as the discussion showed :-), that has other downsides.
> Really, we need an easy way for maintainers to do branching themselves
> so that the branching can be done at the most suitable point on a
> package by package basis.  If you're interested in helping with the
> infrastructure side of this, we'd love to have some help on that front.

Wouldn't it make sense to pre-branch F-8 right after development is
started?
There the developer can put stable versions (if he wish). It will not be
used for Rawhide which will continue to be devel, but as a way to put
packages the developer is more confident in.
It will be probably little used until we are close to release, but being
there already removes any problem about creation permissions.

Once the freeze is close people will be requested to put the latest
stable package from devel to F-8 and the test versions will fetch from
there and not from devel.
This will also allow the release managers to block committing to the F-8
branch at freeze, and we could think of a mechanism to unblock on a case
by case basis after request to rel-eng@

Simo.