Broken upgrade paths in F7

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue May 15 15:13:31 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 10:50 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 19:21 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > I've suggested that releases should branch from devel before they
> > actually release.  It hasn't been implemented.  I'm not sure why.
>
> Because (as the discussion showed :-), that has other downsides.
> Really, we need an easy way for maintainers to do branching themselves
> so that the branching can be done at the most suitable point on a
> package by package basis.  If you're interested in helping with the
> infrastructure side of this, we'd love to have some help on that front.

Clearly I missed that discussion.  In my world it's no different from
having to do dual commits for master and release branches in an
upstream project, or having to build something into both devel and FC6
for updates.  This is a thing I'm already used to; I don't see why OS
release preparation should require I use a different workflow.
(Although I would love a cli interface to the updates system, as the
current one is needlessly hard to automate.)

I don't know what's involved on the CVS server side for branch creation,
but I suspect the UI for this is: if you're on the devel branch, you may
issue 'make release-branch' to create the F7 branch, which is initially
populated from the revision currently in CVS.  This sounds really close
to what we do internally for embargo branch creation, modulo the whole
non-propagation thing.

- ajax