Broken upgrade paths in F7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 15 15:56:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 17:48 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:43:53 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> [Ralf]
> > > When will you understand that I did apply the same procedures as with
> > > all Fedora releases before - You report actually points out regressions
> > > koji imposes on community maintainers.
> >
> > We've been over this before Ralf.  Things change.  It's not a
> > regression, it's a change in workflow.
>
> The change in workflow causes regression.

If you'd like to view it that way, ok.  Except regression can be fixed
by adapting to the change.

> > If you were to do so, that would be quite sad.  It takes a simple email
> > to get these packages into f7-final and thus far you are the only person
> > to publicly refuse to do so.  To lose a valued contributor over the
> > matter of an email would be sad indeed.
>
> You don't know that yet. Many other contributors have not even used koji
> yet. Others don't know that FC <= 4 is EOL. Others have done "make built"
> without asking for a tag. You guess that they don't want the tag. But it
> is likely they just don't know about the extra burden yet.

Yes, I do know that.  I said Ralf was the only person to "publicly
refuse to do so".  If others haven't spoken up, then they aren't
publicly refusing to do so.

Now, to address what you're really trying to point out, yes there
certainly may be cases where maintainers simply don't know.  That is one
of the driving reasons I started this thread to being with.  So far,
it's actually working quite well.  Several of the issues that were on
the report have been fixed and as soon as rawhide materializes again
I'll send out an updated one.

josh