Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue May 15 17:22:00 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 13:15:07 Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Eh? What has this comment to do here? Or have you realised that too many
> users are burnt by the frequent updates and upgrades that are pushed out
> to Fedora Core 5 and Fedora Core 6? That is the #1 complaint by users who
> have wandered off to Ubuntu, for example. Released Updates which break
> something badly. Wrapped into nice words in good-looking update
> announcements, which advertise everything but the regression and
> breakage. How does that help us? The testing is missing, not the
> announcements.

Correct the testing, forcing things to go into an updates-testing queue before
going out to the rest of the world.  Announcement about what has changed and
what should be tested, the ability to pull something from -testing before it
hits the wide world.  Ralf's statement is that we shouldn't bother, and we
should just use our end users for our testing purposes.

> Anyway, I wonder what this has to do with a sudden and late freeze of
> Extras' packages?

It doesn't, it has to do with where the topic has drifted, the use of an
update tool to issue updates to released Fedoras.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora