Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue May 15 17:53:51 UTC 2007

Replying a bit out of context (for those using a threaded reader), as I already
deleted the mother post I should have replied too.

First of all let me say that I'm fine with new packages and package updates
going through updates now, and with updates needing a good reason to be
released, and with all updates (including new packages) needing an announcement.

However I thought that we had agreed that _new_ packages don't need to go
through updates-testing, as they (normally) don't cause any regressions.

Also I would like to see simple updates not going through updates-testing too.
most of the bug reports I get are either:
a) packaging/cosmetic -> defer to next release
b) crashers / segfaults

The b) bugs are often fixed with a single line patch, with little chance of
causing regressions, in this scenario I would like to be able to have the fix
in the hand of (non testing) end users within a day, as I could do until now.

If the fix is more invasive, then using updates-testing is fine ofcourse, but
for important, simple (obviously correct) fixes, I would like to be able to
skip updates-testing.

For the rel-eng people, take the 64 bit pygame update as an example (although
the needing 2 itterations part makes that a bad example)

Regards,

Hans