Deep Freeze coming for Fedora 7 (and cvs branching coming too)

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Tue May 15 18:35:27 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Even "obviously correct" fixes have caused major regressions. Your
>>> packages would reach updates after sitting in updates-testing for a
>>> small amount of time. What's wrong with it?
>>>

>> That small amount of time. There should be a balance between the
>> chance for regressions and the time spend in updates-testing. If the
>> chance for regressions is close to 0, the time spend in
>> updates-testing should be 0.
>
> The chance for regressions is pretty much never zero.

No, but often close to it (assuming our buildsys does reproducable builds,
which AFAIK it does).

I regularry get crashers reported where upon debugging, the cause is obvious
and so is the fix -> close to 0 chance of regression.

> End users would
> very much be willing to wait a small amount of time if gives testers a
> better chance to check for issues and improve the quality of updates.
> What is the big rush anyway?

For non obscure crasher / application not starting bugs I would rather get the
fix out asap then wait a few days and watch dozens of duplicate bugs pop up.

Regards,

Hans