Updates System

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Wed May 16 04:32:10 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Possibly, because RH once again seems to have failed to communicate what
> THEIR plan is and seems to be pressing something which doesn't seem to
> be clear to themselves onto the community.
>
> At the moment I am primarily referring to this nonsensical regressions
> this new release flow and koji impose on my packages. I see regressions
> all over the place: What once was simple, now requires additional effort
> and wastes my time.
>
> Ralf

Ralf,

You are going way overboard in escalating what is entirely a non-issue.

All package updates going out after F7 release will need to go through
the update system.  Pushing packages in this way is NOT a horrible
burden that you make it out to be.  This is only formalizing a process
that was very uncontrolled in the past only because we didn't have time
to write anything like this.

Fact of the matter is, we were doing poorly in Fedora in the past
without package update announcements for Extras.  Sure, this was
harmless in most cases, but in the case of security this was quite
possibly dangerous and not in the interest of spreading necessary
awareness to our community.

Today Core updates happen using this update system.  It is a smooth and
formal process.

1) Maintainer checks changes into CVS branch.
2) Maintainer builds.
3) Maintainer tests that build.
4) Maintainer fills out the form with the N-V-R, optional security
(yes/no), optional Bug numbers fixed, and some fills in some details of
what the update is about, then chooses updates or updates-testing.
5) Submit, where security and/or rel-eng team pushes it through.

I personally don't care what the update announcement part says.  If you
truly have nothing meaningful to say about it, I personally don't care
if you write:
- Update to new version
- Updating because I feel like it
- Bump

Bodhi really isn't that bad currently, and I suspect we will make
further improvements down the line to more smoothly integrate it into
other parts of the package process.  If there is enough demand, we might
even be able to write an optional TUI interface to accommodate users who
want to avoid a web driven push process.

This is necessary and we are going to do it.  I believe after working
out some initial kinks, participants will realize how much it really
doesn't suck.

However, if you don't wish to participate then you are free to leave.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com