Updates System

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed May 16 11:00:51 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 09:37:11AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Thus I would like to voice my concern over the web-form part of this.
> Preferably this would be handled in the makefile and when typing "make
> build" for a non-devel branch my $EDITOR would get launched opening a
> pre-filled template update anouncement, where I can add the necessary bits,
> and then upon saving this gets automatically entered into the updates
> system.

when I first tested the update system some ages ago I had asked the
author whether this could also be done by a cli app, and he was very
open to it. So I assume that if this solves 90% of people's concerns
then it wouldn't be difficult to have this pure-non-gui cli and just
add the announcement text to it.

I think one needs to allow for some time for things to iron out and
maybe accept that at the beginning there may be some inconveniences.

But the true thread on increasing QA is still failing its purpose
(announcements are just eye-candy). I'll restate that the only way to
do proper QA is to *force* all maintainers to use updates-testing. If
not even them test each-others packages, how can we ever expect Joe
and Jane to do so?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net