5/16/2007 Broken upgrade paths in F7

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Thu May 17 15:14:47 UTC 2007

On 17/05/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 May 2007 07:55:18 Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Ah. I'll try and bug DaveJ about it as we get closer and send (or have
> > him send) something out once it's know.
>
> This is yet another reason why external kmods are such crap piles.  Often
> times the kernel is the very last package to build, and when we "know" that
> it is good, is when we actually do the spins.  We don't always have time to
> wait for N kernel mods to rebuild against it and get tagged.  When the kmods
> were in a separate repo this was less of an issue, but now that everything is
> in the same repo it is far far more important of an issue and one that will
> hound us quite often, like with every kernel update.

/me resists the urge to ask why Fedora doesn't move to using dkms for
kernel modules. Yes, I know, Fedora is primarily a binary
distribution. The packaging of kernel modules that Mathias has been
doing for freshrpms with dkms is living testament to the ease of that
approach though. Oh dear, I didn't resist the urge.