Plan for tomorrows (20070517) FESCO meeting

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu May 17 16:47:08 UTC 2007

On 17.05.2007 17:18, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 17:36 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> I think we need to discuss whether the Packaging Guidelines are only
>> Guidelines or if they're Rules.  If the latter, whether we're willing
>> take any actions to enforce them.  If turnout is light, I don't expect
>> us to make any decisions but we can't continue to debate whether it's
>> okay to "bypass the guidelines".  We have to know what standing they
>> have.
> Don't enable the rule police.  Guidelines are "best form" but I don't
> think they need to be enforced to the level where it becomes crazy.

Maybe not enforced -- but I'd like to see a group that *reminds*
contributors about the guidelines if the spec files containn stuff
that's not in line with the guidelines.

Even in my own spec files I sometimes in the past found odd stuff that
is not in line with the guidelines. Often the reasons for that is quite
simple: details in the guidelines changed over time and I forgot to
adjust the spec file as I simply was not aware that I had stuff in my
spec files that needed adjustments.

So especially when guidelines change it IMHO would be really helpful if
someone or some group could (with grep or other tools) look over the
spec files in the devel tree and mail people if something that should be
changed turns up.

Just my 2 cent.

CU
knurd