An alternate proposal to answer the guidelines question.

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Thu May 17 17:40:10 UTC 2007

We were talking about this on #fedora-meeting, and I was asked to write
up my answer to the question of how to handle violations of the
packaging guidelines.

It seems to me that the fundamental question is: what do I do when I
find a packaging problem?

The answer should be:

1) Contact the maintainer about it.  Start by filing a bug, work from
there.  Be reasonable.
2) if the maintainer doesn't respond, or won't fix it and can't satisfy
you with any good reasons why not, then send a note to FESCO.
Conversely, if you're a maintainer and somebody won't listen to reason
about when there is a good reason not to change something, contact FESCO.
3) when FESCO is notified of a problem, they appoint somebody who they
trust to do the right thing to arbitrate the dispute.  The arbitrator
has the right to decide right and wrong here.
4) do what the arbitrator says.
5) if a maintainer still doesn't fix a package, the arbitrator lets
FESCO know that we need to start the orphan package process.

--
   Peter