Fedora Build Status

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri May 18 18:10:49 UTC 2007

We've forked F-7 away from the devel/ branch in CVS.  This means a couple
things:

Builds from F-7/ are now directed to a new tag, 'dist-fc7-updates-candidate'.
This is the holding tag for potential and "-testing" updates for Fedora 7.
Builds will sit here until we bring bodhi online and start taking
pre-requests for Fedora 7 updates.  An important thing to note with this tag,
builds done here do _not_ automatically update the buildroot.  This is a
major point of contention with lots of heated feelings on both sides of the
plate.  On one side, a -testing update or candidate update has the potential
to be used by other updates that eventually get shipped, but if said
candidate or -test update has to be pulled, doom.  On the other side,
building a set of interdependent packages requires interaction with release
engineering to tag packages correctly to make them available in the
buildroot.  Some of the same problems apply but the window is smaller and
more controlled.  We could open the tag and allow any maintainer to apply
the 'dist-fc7-updates' tag themselves to a build, as this would allow it to
show up in the buildroot.  Still an interactive process and not automated in
any way.  I think this whole scenario should be open for discussion and I'm
welcoming ideas.

Builds from devel/ are tagged with 'dist-f8'.  This tag inherits from
dist-fc7-updates, which inherits from dist-fc7.  Right now dist-f8 gets all
of Fedora 7 (and updates) for free, so the only things that really need to be
built are changes from Fedora 7.  Once Fedora 7 has gone "GOLD" we will
switch rawhide to compose from 'dist-f8'.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora