splitting a package into many (src.rpm wise): resubmit or special handling?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 22 11:50:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 11:42:26PM +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote:
> > This is about nx which is a conglomeration of several (8) different
> > source tarballs. This is a historical design which has some drawbacks
> > like having to rebuild all 8 "subpackages" when only one changes.
> >
> > Now, technically splitting the (source) package into 8 (source)
> > packages is less the problem, I'm more afraid of having to submit all
> > 8 pieces and wait for reviews of each one of them. Any chance this
> > could be special handled by a cvsadmin? Does fesco or some other
> > instance need to approve?
> For something like this, how I'd like to see it handled, is one master
> review bug#, with the 8 specfiles, and label the review as 'Review
> Request: nx-* - Package split'.

Well, the idea is not to stall the package with any review request. My
packages have a typical review turn around of several months to a
year. Semantically it isn't much different from deciding to change
subpackage structure and noone would require ever packager to resubmit
his package for adding/changing a subpackage.

Only this time the split is already at the source level and involves
cvs/bugzilla etc. high level changes.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net