[Minimizing Fedora] Langpacks for Firefox.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 1 04:41:41 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
>> Right. Whatever the correct solution is should be applied across the
>> repository instead of complete inconsistency. Openoffice.org with
>> multiple language packs, KDE with a single language pack and Firefox
>> with everything in the same package. Firefox having everything in the
>> same package is a common user complaint in fedora-list and forums
>> especially since it bloats the package to over double the usual size and
>> the extensions are visible in the user interface.
>
> So, you're suggesting picking a fight with every upstream that
> does it the wrong way? That will be ... fun.

Not a fight. Act as a bridge for users, collaborate with upstream
(considering that we are a active part of upstream in this case) and
figure out a good solution that does not bloat the package and have
other effects like more resource use or slower speed of startup.

Some of these details are just coming out with good packaging guidelines
on how we deal with language packs instead of every group doing it's own
thing. There must be more common ground here.

Rahul