[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue May 1 11:03:46 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 12:27:03AM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> - installation of third-party software that is only available for the
>   secondary arch, in a way that allows it to run

How much of this is there in the real world? I mean, we're talking dozens of
packages at *most*, right? Matlab, Mathematica, Maple, and Oracle all have
64-bit versions. So in our environment at BU, that leaves Splus (rapidly
being displaced by R) and the Flash plugin.

And I'm not convinced that the ability to build 32-bit code outside of a
chroot is a huge deal either. In five years, that's going to be a really
narrow group of users, and do we really want to design our whole system just
for that?