[F8/multilib] {,/usr}/{,s}bin64 (was: Split libperl from perl)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 1 13:14:14 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 01:18:18PM +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 11:32:19AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > o Breaks the majority of config files (that's where the 59% come from)
>
> Are these bugs in packaging

No, it is valid to package config files together with binaries. That's
in fact the most common packaging for packages that create both bin
parts and config files (e.g. devel files get split out into *-devel,
sometimes libs get split out in their own package as well, but bins
and config files remain in the main package).

> or is this solved by the multiarch approach?

Yes and no.

Yes, because the multiarch design does not require you to uninstall
and reinstall bin sub-sub-packages, thus you don't rpmsave your
running config and get a fresh one on the arch switching.

No, because that bug only exists in the case we would use David's bin
sub-sub-packaging proposal. Since we are not using it today, this bug
does not exist yet, so there is nothing to solve.

This is just a bug which we should not walk into.

> Do you have examples?

You mean packages that would break that way? Like for example samba,
mysql, pam or nss_db?  Or any other packages that exists in both
x86_64/i386 tandems and have at least on config file? If you want to
see what this means on your multilib system try:

rpm -qa --qf '%{name}\n' | grep -v ^kernel | grep -v ^gpg-pubkey | sort | uniq -d | xargs rpm -qc | sort -u | xargs rpm -qf | sort -u

This lists all multilib packages that share config files on your own
system.

These packages are already well known because they cause trouble in
the current multilib setup due to different mtimes of config files
causing one config file set to become rpmsave/rpmnew.

And if the target is to have two distinct repos that are both
activated, then you can imagine that - since it affects any package that
has binary parts and config files - the number is quite high.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net