major change release management for former Extras packages? (was Re: Merge Status - Building available)

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 7 12:27:59 UTC 2007

[...]

>> What if I have some packages meeting the A) status above, and I
>> don't care that deeply whether they're in the F7 release but sure
>> do want them in F7 repositories as soon as possible after the
>> release; do I need to do something?

JB> Yes, you need to email rel-eng with a request.  There is no
JB> difference between "f7 release" and "in the f7 repo" in regards to
JB> Koji.  The f7-final tag encompasses both at this point.

JB> (And arguably, there is no difference between "f7 release" and "in
JB> the f7 repo" at all given that the repos can be enabled and
JB> installed from at any point.)

So this seems to imply that all updates to (formerly-Extras) packages
for F7 (either before or after the release) must go through rel-eng?

If so, this is going to introduce a new bottleneck that hasn't existed
up to this point for Extras packages, currently we just build and
they're released in the next push.  For the point of view out non-Red
Hat contributors, it's a major change in the way packages are managed.

I can't find any FAQ on the wiki (or definitive discussions on this
mailing list) where policy has been established and about how this is
supposed to work (other than perhaps mentioning it in discussions in
FESCo meetings).  This is something needs to be front and centre right
now before F7 goes live.

Alex