major change release management for former Extras packages?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 7 14:32:05 UTC 2007

On Monday 07 May 2007 10:02:02 Alex Lancaster wrote:
> For example, with Extras <= FC-6 you can simply update the package and
> build it and it will generally go into the repo in a few days.  While
> I complete understand the need for and approve of a QA process for
> packages (especially in the merged world), I am concerned that the new
> extra (sic) step involved in rel-eng not be too onerous.
>
> For example, currently there is a steady stream of updates to Extras
> packages every day, and if even fairly minor changes need to be
> approved by a committee then I can see the queue rapidly becoming
> full.  In addition having to justify each change (even for "leaf"
> packages which don't depend on or otherwise affect any other packages)
> and waiting longer for approval, or disallowing version upgrades (even
> if they don't break binary compatibility), could potentially
> discourage contributors because the rapid release cycle of Extras
> packages (compared to Core) is part of what made being a contributor
> to Extras appealing in the first place.
>
> Of course, this may all be moot if the final policy for updating
> packages (after F7 is released) differs somewhat from that described
> in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/DevelFreezePolicy
> but those are some potential issues I can see with the release process
> as I currently interpret it.

It is different.  That's why it's a DevelFreezePolicy.  For updates to a
released platform, we ask that you follow some simple guides like avoid
soname bumping that would cause N* number of rebuilds of "downstream"
packages and the like.  There will be a tool to use, bodhi, to request your
update and fill in information about why this update is being issued, and
there will still need to be somebody to do the depchecking/signing/pushing of
the update set.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora