Post-merge howto and FAQ

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Tue May 8 10:39:59 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 09:33 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> as far as I understand the new process, there should be a big fat warning
> given to Extras maintainers not to update their FE 6 and 5 packages (except
> for adding an integer after the dist-tag) before the release team allowed an
> update for F7. Otherwise the upgrade path will be broken. Or am I wrong?
>
> Example:
>
> currently in FE6 is fatsort-0.9.7-1.fc6
> in F7 fatsort is locket to 0.9.7-1.fc7
>
> So when I update fatsort in FE6 to fatsort-0.9.7.1-1.fc6 it cannot upgrade in
> F7. Or are FE6 builds now also locked down?

FE[56] builds are not locked down.  You bring up a very good point about
the upgrade path.  I will add it to the page.

Essentially, if you're upgrading a package across f7 and fe[56], the
easiest way to do so and not break the upgrade path is to upgrade f7,
submit the request to rel-eng, then upgrade fe[56] after the f7 build
has been tagged.  You don't _need_ to do it in that order, but it's the
most "fail-safe".

josh